Thursday 24 July 2014

The Poor Aspen


    For several years now the aspen trees have been suffering from the leaf miner, a tiny caterpillar that gets in between the top and bottom layers of an aspen leaf and creates tunnels as it eats its way back and forth inside the leaf.  The trails it makes inside the leaf end up in an interesting design and I made them the subject of a painting (“Aspen”).  It does however weaken the trees, especially if it attacks year after year.
    Because it has been happening so regularly, I have been getting used to the silvery color that the aspen leaves now take on, as the leaf miner strips them of their green chlorophyl, so I was surprised yesterday when I noticed how green some new leaves were on an aspen tree.  

See my "Aspen" painting at:  


No comments:

Post a Comment