Thursday 16 December 2021

Pond Outflow


    I walk Kona on the path that circumvents our pond numerous times a day.  On Tuesday when I was doing it, I noticed how picturesque the pond outflow was with its marshmallow-looking snow and it’s mostly frozen water.  I also noticed how low the sun is on the horizon.

    Next week is one of my favorite days of the year, the Winter Solstice.  To me it is important because it signals that the amount of daylight will slowly begin to increase.  Of course it also signals the official start of winter, which isn’t very inspiring after all the cold weather we have already experienced, but just to know that more light will be coming, keeps me optimistic.  

    This photo was taken at 11:00 AM and as the day progresses the sun will move toward the right rather than moving upward.  That is the path it travels during the winter in the North.  It comes up then moves sideways above the eastern horizon, so it doesn’t have the intensity that it has during the summer when it is more overhead and its light is more direct.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

    


 

No comments:

Post a Comment