Saturday 3 March 2018

Muscle Memory


    How do you like my coat, pretty flashy isn’t it.
    I think it is remarkable how your muscles remember how to do all those everyday things to the point that you no longer need to use your eyes to perform them.
    During our Canadian winter I use layers of clothing to stay warm.  For outerwear, I put on a down jacket then on top of that I wear a windbreaker.  That was what I had on the other day when I took Skye for her walk.  I had them both unzipped from the drive to Horseshoe Lake.
    Once we started down the road, I felt a blast of cold air hit me in the face so I thought I’d zip up my coats.  This is where my muscle memory kicked in.  I didn’t look down to see what I was doing, I kept my eyes on the road and one hand reached down and grabbed one side of the zipper and the other grabbed the other side and I zipped up the coat and proceeded walking down the road.
    About half way down the road I happened to glance down and was surprised to see one half of my black down coat zipped together with one half of my bright yellow-green windbreaker.  Luckily no one was around to tell me I was having a senior’s moment, I just corrected my mistake and Skye and I continued on our walk.

You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant.ca

1 comment: