Saturday 17 May 2014

Fraser River Foam


    Every spring when the waters of the Fraser River start to rise, big clumps of white foam can be seen floating on its surface.  When we first saw this, I thought they were little icebergs floating down the river, but when I was able to get close to examine them, I  realized that they were stiff light-grey foamy bubbles, which made me begin to worry that they were some sort of pollution in the water.   But since there isn’t any industry upriver, I soon abandoned that idea and assumed it was just some natural phenomenon. 
    I believe that they are created as bubbles are generated, by falling and fast flowing water because of the minerals and tiny particles in the water they become stiff and suspended then build up and are carried away by the current.   If you look closely at the photo below you can see someof the chunks floating down the river. 



You can see my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment