Friday 9 May 2014

Art Nouveau


    Art Nouveau was a style of art that developed in at the turn of the last century.  It was an effort to make buildings, furniture, graphics and other objects reflect the lines, and curves that are seen in nature.  This of course meant a lot of images of plants and flowers.
    Plants and flowers....it’s easy to see why art nouveau might appeal to me, because one of the joys in my life is exploring the beauty of nature and especially plants.  One of the plants that always remind me of art nouveau is the waterlily.
    They have been pushing up from the bottom of my pond, growing through the water, and now, their leaves are beginning to emerge on the surface.  The waterlilies I have in my pond are native to BC and sport a yellow flower.  The flower is not as spectacular as some of the domestic varieties, but I am always happy to see them.  I did a painting of one of these waterlily flowers, if you want to see what they look like.

You can see my waterlily painting at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment