Friday 1 March 2013

Mustang II



   I love to get my electric guitar, plug into an amp, and really trash along to music.  Joan, on the other hand does not share the same enthusiasm, when I am playing my electric guitar.  I am sure that is part of the reason, I quit doing it for so long.
    I mentioned that I had ordered a new small guitar amplifier when I started doing music again.  The amp I ordered was a Fender Mustang II.  It has arrived and I love playing through it.  I hadn’t followed amp development for years, and when I got this one, and saw some of the new features that amps now have, I was nicely surprised.
    New amps have “presets”.  In the olden days when you bought an amp, you could somewhat adjust the sound by adjusting more treble, or more bass, and maybe add “Chorus” that gave you sort of a 12  string guitar sound.  If you wanted more changes in the sound, you had to buy foot pedals for things like distortion or flange.  This new amp’s presets has those things built in, and not only that, you can set the amp to sound like great amps of the past.  You can pick things like: ’57 Deluxe, ’59 Bassman, or American 90’s.  I seem to gravitate toward “Briitish 60”s”.  I love playing “House of the Rising Sun” using this mode.
    The amp can be plugged into a computer, and you can create your own personalized sound and save it in the amp.  I haven’t done this yet, but it sounds like it might be fun.
    The feature I appreciate the most is an input that enables me to play my iPod or iPad through the amp.  I have all my favorite songs on my iPod, and I can plug it in to my amp, play a song, then, with my guitar plugged in, I can play my guitar along with the song.  When I do this with my earphones plugged into the amp, I can loudly trash along with Tom Petty or Neil Young and Joan hears nothing but silence.  She can read, knit, or watch TV in peace.
    I have loved this amp from the first moment I plugged my guitar into it.  I hope it continues to motivate me for years to come.

For older blogs or to see my paintings, check out: www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment