Tuesday 5 April 2022

Fleeting Pleasures


    I took this photo of the snow-covered crocus yesterday.  We have had more crocus come up in our yard this year than I can remember, but the croci were a fleeting pleasure.  I am glad I got those photos of the flower when I did, because unfortunately, today they are no longer.  A hungry deer must have helped itself to the crocus overnight.

    Living with wildlife can be a real treat, but it can also be very discouraging.  Now I wonder if those croci will ever show up again.  They need to have their leaves out in the sun so they can produce enough nutrients to allow the underground bulbs to store up enough energy to re-sprout again next year.  Sadly, the deer not only ate the blooms, but also the leaves.  

    The other day I did buy some anti-deer spray to protect the flowers and plants from the beasts, but I didn’t really think the deer would eat the croci, so didn’t bother to spray them--a lesson learned.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment