Monday 8 November 2021

Stellar's Jay


    While I rarely see them for most of the year, during the fall I begin hearing the raucous, “Shaak, Shaak, Shaak” call of the Stellar’s Jay, as it shows up, wondering why there are no sunflower seeds in my bird feeder.  The Stellar’s Jay is a beautiful bird which can be found across the western end of North America.   I suspect that its beautiful blue and black coloration was one of the reasons that in 1987, by popular vote, it was chosen as BC’s Official Bird.

    Like most jays it can come off as being a bit audacious, especially around campgrounds and picnic areas.  So far around our place, the Stellar’s Jay haven’t caused any problems, and I sure enjoy seeing their beautiful blues and blacks darting around the yard. 


You can see my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment