Tuesday 24 May 2022

Mowing Around Forget-me-nots



    See the patches of baby-blue in the photo, they are Forget-me-nots.  Back in the late 1970’s when we bought our place, our neighbor was Mrs. Nail, a retired astronomer.  She was a member of the Alpine Club of Canada and I think through them, she got some Forget-me-not seeds that she planted in her yard.  Although her house is not real close to ours, over the years the flowers spread into our yard.  Mrs. Nail died decades ago, but every spring when the Forget-me-nots come up, I am reminded of her.

    Forget-me-nots have tiny blue or pink flowers.  I think it is the acidity of the soil that determines the color.  I sometimes come across white blooms.  

    I have a bit of a wild-looking lawn, because I like to have flowers growing in it for the bees and hummingbirds.  Although they seem quite vigorous and may not need my help, I always mow around the patches of Forget-me-nots to make sure they will mature enough to produce seeds and grow and spread again next year.

    Below is a close-up of their beautiful little flowers.



Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca



 

No comments:

Post a Comment