Monday 19 January 2015

Elephant Ear


    I have just finished my 47th painting.  It is the underside of a leaf of an Elephant Ear plant.  Joan thinks it is my strangest painting, and it is different from most of my others.  While most of my works do feature leaves, they usually have leaves with hard edges and a lot of contrast in the darks and lights.  There is very little contrast in this one, and the definition is not very great.  This made it difficult for me to paint since there wasn’t much for me to “hold on to.”
    What I tried to capture in the image was the subtle changes of green and the transparent light that was shining through the leaf, and it does do that.   I don’t think its my favorite painting, but I do like the blast of bright green that it gives.  
    The painting is done in acrylics on an 16” x 20” (40cm x 50cm) canvas.  It to me 45 hours to paint (my quickest painting yet) I started painting it on October 5, 2014.
    I have already started on my next painting which will be back to one of my favorite subjects, Hosta leaves.

You can see all of my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment