Tuesday 13 December 2022

One Dog Night


     In the 1970’s there was a popular singing group called “Three Dog Night”.   Supposedly, they had taken their name from the Aboriginal practice of sleeping with their dogs to keep warm.  A really cold night was one where they slept with three dogs.  Now for me, every night is a “one dog night”.

    Kona always gave us problems at night.  We had her sleep on her dog bed, but she was always restless and would get up and then wake us up.  What was worse was her insistence that we get up at 6:00 every morning.  It was not a great situation as for as getting a good night of sleep.

    Eventually we moved her dog bed into my room, and I kept the door closed to limit her wandering throughout the house.  That worked a bit better, but Kona still insisted on getting us out of bed in the dark at 6:00.

    The next thing I tried resulted after one night when Kona was scared by some lightening and wouldn’t calm down, so I put her with me in my bed, and she spent the night cuddled up close beside me, and we made it until 7:00.  Since then, I just have Kona sleep with me every night in my bed.  Amazingly she stays there the whole night.  If she starts getting antsy, I tell her to go to sleep, and she does.  Every morning now, she lets us sleep until 7:00.

    Of course there is a downside to the situation.  I am usually just allotted a narrow strip along the edge of the bed to sleep in, but I am managing to use it effectively.  Kona loves to have her butt, tight up against my back.  I guess it feels like she is with her mother again.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment