Saturday 23 May 2020

WiInter Kill


    I am just now starting to see the results of our hard winter.  It looks like a handful of my fruit trees were killed.  Above  is what used to be a prolific plum tree and below is one of our cherry trees, both laid low after our winter that got down to a sudden -40C (-40F) in January without much snow on the ground.  
    I lost two plum trees.  I think they were suffering after our unusually rainy summer and fall, and I guess the long winter was just two much for them.  The cherry trees were a surprise, because they were old enough to have gone through -40 temperatures back in the late 1970’s and early 80’s.
    I also have two tall Aspens in the yard that are dead, but like the plums, they didn’t seem all that healthy last summer.
    I had to wait this long, until I saw the other trees leaf out, before I felt safe in declaring these trees dead.   Fortunately my four apple trees appear to have survived.


You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment