Saturday 23 December 2017

A Brown Creeper, But A Week Late.



    Last Sunday I participated in Robson Valley’s Christmas Bird Count.  It was a snowy day so not the best conditions to see birds, but I came up with most of the usual suspects around my bird feeder.  I had my Chickadees, Red Breasted Nuthatches, some Pine Grosbeaks (a bit unusual for me), Downy Woodpeckers, and Hairy Woodpeckers.  I called in my findings and was done.
    Today when I went out to fill up my peanut butter log for the birds, what did I see but a Brown Creeper. clinging and walking around, often upside down, on the bark of one of my willow trees.  Brown Creepers are a pretty rare sight around here.  I maybe see a Creeper, maybe once every year or three.  They are unassuming little brown birds that don’t stand out.  They work their way up and down the bark of trees, cleaning out the crevasses for their food.
    I left a message on Elaine’s phone about the creeper.  She is the organizer of the Christmas Bird Count, but I suspect she has already turned in our local count.  Too bad, a Brown Creeper would be a notable addition.
    I wish birds would be a bit more reliable and show up on the day they are supposed to.


You can see my paintings:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment