Thursday 30 January 2014

Bird Feeder


    During the winter a lot of birds congregate around the bird feeders to take advantage of the sunflower seeds, suet, and peanut butter.  With all these birds clustered together in one area it is not surprising that hawks have noticed the gathering and periodically stop in to pick up a few of these birds for their lunch.  I spotted what I think is a sharp-shinned hawk out in the yard yesterday.
    A few days ago, I saw a group of chickadees flying around and landing in various bushes.  I noticed what I thought was a larger one on a branch close to me, and when I looked closer,  discovered it was a pigmy owl.  The coloration was similar, but It had a thicker body and had a broad round head with big eyes.  I grabbed my camera, but it was off before I got a shot.

I paint every morning.  You can see my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment