Thursday 20 July 2023

My Calendar Scoop



    Every year I make and sell a Cartoon and Trivia calendar.  The trivia spans a large range of information that I found interesting.  People often ask me where I get all of the trivia, and I tell them that every time I read or hear something interesting with its date, I write it down then enter it in a database I have on my computer.

    Back in 1993 I was at my desk at Forestry listening to CBC Radio as I worked on a map.  They were doing an interview with one of the astronomers who had discovered that a comet had broken up near Jupiter and in a year its fragments would be crashing into the planet.  He said it would happen on July 20th of 1994.  I eagerly recorded the date so I could use it on my 1994 calendar, which I did.

    In July 1994, just as the astronomer had predicted Comet Shoemaker-Levy did crash into Jupiter.  While probably no one who had the calendar thought much about the foresight I had in recording the event, I was very proud it was stated on my calendar.  It felt like a real scoop.  I think I had produced the only 1994 homemade calendar in the world that had the event recorded.

    Last night on PBS I watched a program about Jupiter in which they talked about Comet Shoemaker-Levy and what an important event it was.  It reminded me of my “prowess” in putting the phenomenon on my calendar


You can see my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment