Monday 10 July 2023

Kona: Thunderstorm Sensor


    Last evening it was unusually hot, 31°C (88°F), very still, and muggy.  Suddenly, Kona became very nervous, anxious, and unsettled.  Nothing would calm her down, and she kept pawing at my leg.  Something had really affected her, but I couldn’t figure out what.  

    Her behavior was similar to how she acts during a thunderstorm, but I hadn’t seen any threatening clouds or heard any thunder, but since her behavior was so similar, I got out my phone to see if there had been any lightning around us and when I opened the Lightning Tracker App, I did see that there had been been a lot of lightning strikes, 30 or so miles away, but there has been two that had struck 10 miles (16 km) away, in the mountains south of us, and although we hadn’t heard them, I guess Kona did.  

    I am not sure if it was the sound that Kona heard, or whether she was aware of the electrical impulses from the lightning.  I guess it really doesn’t matter, she seems to know about thunderstorms that we don’t know anything about.  

    The photo below show what I saw on the app.  The blue dot shows where our house is located and the red and yellow dots show lightning strikes.



See my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment