Saturday 21 July 2018

McBride Peak Alpine Flowers



    One of the things that make all the uphill hiking on McBride Peak worthwhile is seeing the alpine flowers.  I was a bit disappointed a week ago when I was up there to discover that most of the flowers were not yet in bloom, but there were a few early bloomers that caught my eye.  The photo above shows what I think is Landorf’s Lousewort (Pedicularis langdorfii).  This plant also grows in the arctic.
    Below is a photo of the Small Flowered Paintbrush (Castilleja parviflora) which is a relative of the Common Paintbrush that grows at both lower and higher elevations of the Robson Valley.  I hadn’t been able to come up with the name of the pink and yellow succulent at the bottom, but after I made this post our friend Norma was able to identify it.  It is a Sedum lanceolatum.  This is the first time I have seen this one.   It was growing right beside the narrow hiking path I was on.




Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment