Monday 20 July 2015

Hawaiian Light


    I woke up to a thunder storm and heavy rain this morning.  It soon stopped, but the dark broken clouds remained.  As we ate breakfast I noticed that sunlight was splashing itself across the Cariboo Mountains against the heavy grey sky and I rushed outside with my camera.  This kind of lighting changes quickly.
    Whenever I see these partially illuminated peaks against the dark clouded sky, I think about Hawaii.  In 1969, I took Peace Corp training on the Big Island.  It was an eye-opening experience for a kid from Indiana.  I think Hawaii’s moody skies, lush green terrain, and brilliant colors had a profound effect on me and the direction of my life.  It was there that I first saw this kind of color and lighting on mountainous terrain.
    It is nice, living in BC to be periodically reminded of those Hawaiian influences. 


You can view my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment