Wednesday 8 October 2014

Lunar Eclipse


    All yesterday on CBC radio, they were talking about the “Blood Moon”, the lunar eclipse that was supposed to happen overnight at 4:00 BC time.  It seemed unlikely that I would be conscious at that time since that is outside my normal operating hours.  Also, the weather report was for cloud and rain, so I figured that, for me, it was going to be a “no show.”
    As it happened, I did wake up at 5:00 AM and did remember about the lunar eclipse, so as an aside to my trip to the bathroom, I went outside to see what was happening.  Although there were a lot of clouds in the sky, there were also some breaks in the cloud cover.  The “Blood Moon” bit of the eclipse (during the full extent of the earth’s shadow the moon takes on an orangish, coppery color), was well over when I viewed the eclipse, but you could still see the shadow on the bottom of the moon made by the earth’s shadow.
    This is probably not the most exciting of astronomical events, but I always find them interesting to see.  Unfortunately, it seems most of the times when they happen, we have a thick covering of cloud.  Anyway if you missed it, this is what I saw.

To view my paintings, go to:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment