Thursday 2 May 2024

Wildlife Sightings


    During the last few days I have been seeing and hearing reports of wildlife in the neighborhood.  Tuesday night at dusk, coming home from the jam,  I rounded the corner of our road down by the river, and there, standing in the middle of the road were two moose; a mother and her adolescent child.  They took one look at the car then sauntered into the woods.  Moose sightings are not as common as they used to be, and it is always a treat and reassuring, to see them.

    I also saw the first hummingbird of the season, a Rufus Hummingbird.  I have had my feeder out for a couple of weeks, but our spring has been a cool one, and the hummers have taken their time flying back from southwestern US.  

    I got to talk to our neighbor Glen yesterday, when we were doing some maintenance on our waterline.  He said there was a black bear at his house the night before.  I have yet to see one at our place, but did see some digging around a board on our pond trail that could have been done by a bear.

    Glen also told me that there was a cougar spotted a few houses down the road from our house.  I have never actually seen a cougar at our place, but I have come upon a couple of cougar-killed deer carcasses just below our property.

       The thrill of seeing wildlife is one of the joys of living where we do.  We will have to be a bit more careful about Kona and keep a better eye on her when she is outside.



You can take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

1 comment:

  1. Just in time. I saw a bobcat on our bridge yesterday. I thought it was a medium sized black dog from the back , but it turned and looked directly at the vehicle...for sure a bobcat, can't miss those pointy ears and that bobcat face. Bigun'. Keep Kona and Lucifer safe, you guys too.

    ReplyDelete