Tuesday 7 September 2021

Pileated Woodpecker


    Lately we have been hearing a lot of loud, “Wuck-a, wuck-a, wuck-a” as a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers have been flying back and forth across our place.  I couldn’t really figure out why they had suddenly made themselves so neighborly, until the other day when I saw one of them greedily stuffing itself with the white berries of the Red-Osier Dogwood.  That was quite a surprise, I didn’t realize that woodpeckers ate berries, I thought they just ate the insects they found in trees and stumps.  They eat a lot of ants.

    Pileated Woodpeckers are are North America’s largest woodpeckers and always remind me of Woody Woodpecker, the cartoon character.  Unlike Woody, Pileated Woodpeckers are generally shy birds, but luckily this one was so busy eating that it paid me little mind as I snapped some photos.  



You can take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment