Thursday 19 August 2021

Red-Osier Dogwood


    Red-Osier Dogwood is a tangled bush that is common and thrives around our place.  Its white berries look pretty ominous to me and they are bitter and considered inedible, although they were eaten by some of the native tribes.  I know the berries are eaten by bears because we have a Red-Osier bush outside our bedroom window and in the past our dogs have freaked out, hearing commotion outside in the bush when bears have stopped by for a meal.

    I mentioned that they are a tangled bush and it is a frustrating job whenever I have to clear or trim one of them because their branches intertwine, and root if they touch the ground.  The “Red” in the name comes from the red colored stem of the plant.


You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment