For years I have been plagued with tree roots growing in my greenhouse. Last year I had my worst tomato crop ever, and I am pretty sure it was from all of those roots sucking up all the water and nutrients. Every year when I turn over the soil in the greenhouse it becomes a more frustrating job, the roots get in the way and make the job far more difficult than it should be.
There are a lot of feathery tree roots that form after I cut through the root while spading, and there are huge roots, some as thick at my forearm. Anyway it has been a big problem, and this year I decided to do something about it.
Last summer I replaced some of the metal roofing I had on the roof of the house, and I decided that I would bury that leftover roofing in the greenhouse to create a root-proof lining for my tomato bed. It has turned out to be a big job, especially digging out the soil (and tree roots) so that I can bury the roofing. I have completed about a third of the job so far.
The photos are not the most beautiful I have posted, but they give you an idea of what I am doing. The old roofing already has holes punched in it from where the screws used to hold it to the house, so hopefully it will allow excess water to drain out. I hope it works.
Visit davidmarchant.ca to see my paintings and blogs.