Monday 26 December 2016

Northern Pygmy Owl


    It was cold yesterday afternoon (-19C,-2F) but we always make ourselves go for a walk, so we drove down to Horseshoe Lake Road.  When I got out of the car I spotted a little ball of fluff sitting on the very top of one of the willow trees.  I didn’t know what kind of bird it was, but I somehow felt it was some kind of predator, who seemed to be waiting for a victim to fly by.  
    It was so high in the tree that I couldn’t really identify it.  I took the photo and this morning when I downloaded it into the computer, I could see more detail.  I got out my bird book and was able to identify by its marking that it was a Northern Pygmy Owl.  They are very small owls, only 7” (18cm) in length.  I was a bit surprised that it didn’t fly off when we were walking around below it, and that did remind me of owl behavior.
    I was sorry that I couldn’t get its face in the shot, because they are cute little guys.

Take a look at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment