Wednesday 7 September 2016

We Beat the Bear


    Over the last couple of days I have been blogging about how, in the fall, the bears always seem to take all of our tree fruit before we have a chance to pick it.  Its amazing how many times I have told myself, “Tomorrow, I am going to pick the apples,” then have woken up the next morning to find all of the apples on the tree gone, and the tree torn to pieces.
    Finally, this year, we beat the bear to the fruit, and it was a bumper year for the apples and plums on our trees.  Above you see some of what we got.  
    I am not without sympathy for the bears, they are desperate to load up on food in the fall to get them through their winter hibernation.  They have been busy stripping the bushes in the woods of their berries, but I wanted to give them a bit of what we had on our trees, so I put some apples out on a hay pile at the end of our pond for them.  
    The very next day, the apples had all disappeared.


You can view my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment