Monday 1 April 2013

First Mosquitoes of the Year


    I wish I could tell you this was an April Fool’s trick, but unfortunately, it is not.  Yesterday, I encountered the first mosquitoes of 2013.  I counted 3 of them, and I am happy to report that all three have been sent to a better place, like the one laying upside down in the photo.  
    The first mosquitoes we get every year are the big dozy ones.  If there have got to be mosquitoes, these are the kind to have.  They are very slow and lumbering, so they are easy to kill, and aren’t as pesky like the tiny ones that attack, bite, and can really drive you nuts.
    I find it totally amazing that any mosquitoes are out.   There is very little open ground, everything is still covered with at least 12 inches (30cm) of snow and it still dips below freezing every night.  Water has just began to pool in a few places, but I guess thats all these guys need.  I sure hope we don’t have a bad mosquito outbreak this year, it can ruin an entire summer.

To read older blogs or to view my paintings go to:  www.davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment