Sunday 25 August 2024

The Actual Move Finally Happens


    The photo above shows my new office space, once the move was completed.


    When Wednesday the scheduled moving day arrived, the weather was terrible; wild and windy with six inches of snow on the ground, so the move was postponed until the following day.  In my boredom, I broke into some of my boxes to retrieve some things so I could get some work done.

    Thursday, the day of the big move things didn’t quite go as planned. Management had contracted a group from Valemount to do the moving.  At 8:00 on the day of the move, we discovered that the contracted moving crew wasn’t there. In our frustration, all of us just started moving things to the new office ourselves.  We started with the boxes, then hours later, when the movers still hadn’t arrived, we began moving chairs and desks.  

    The contracted movers didn’t show up until 2:30 in the afternoon, and to our dismay we discovered the movers weren’t a crew of hefty men with a big moving truck, but just a handful of people, mostly women, who loaded everything onto open flatbed trailers, pulled by pickup trucks.  It was a pretty “Mickey Mouse” operation, not really suited for lugging around the bulky heavy furniture that needed to be moved.

    Everyone had assumed that movers would be working into the night, but when we returned to work the next day, we found that things looked to be in exactly the same places they were when we had left the day before, so once again, we just starting moving everything ourselves.

    I drove the Forestry one-ton truck, back and forth between the old warehouse and our new one.  Luckily we were able to load and unload the warehouse items with a forklift.  I seemed to drop one of the cardboard boxes on just about every trip, because they were poorly packed and slippery.  The yard at our new compound was rough and tilted the wrong way on the curves, and that added frustration to our moving difficulties because of the loads shifting.

    On the following Monday, the contracted movers finally got my drafting equipment to the new office, so I was able to spend the day putting things away in my new office space.  I was surprised to find in my allotted space, a new computer with dual monitors for me to use with the computerized mapping that I would begin doing.  

    I was very happy with my new office space.  It was spacious and my draughting table was facing a big window which overlooked the compound yard, with the Canadian Rockies in the background. 

        The photo below, shows the Forest Service staff standing in front of the new office building we had moved into.




 You can see my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment