Monday 1 May 2023

The Hummingbirds Are Back


    You are probably getting tired of all the blogs I have been doing about birds and ducks, but after our long winter, seeing the signs of spring are a delight for me.  Yesterday I saw my first hummingbird of the year.  It is a Rufus Hummingbird.  The hummingbirds are late this year, in the past I have sometimes seen them in the middle of April.  We have two species of hummers in the Valley; the rusty colored Rufus, and the Calliope, a smaller and green hummingbird.  

    I don’t get as many hummers at my feeder as other residents.  For some people it seems dangerous to get close to the feeders with all the hummingbirds darting around and they have to refill their feeders a couple of times each day.

    Hummingbirds nest here during the summer.  Finding a hummingbird nest with its tiny, tiny eggs is just one of the fascinating and remarkable aspects of these tiny birds.


View my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment