Tuesday 2 May 2023

Bear The Bird Feeder



    I was at he Legion Hall door, just locking up after our jam last night, when I got the text above from my wife.  I figured that by the time I got home the bear would have cleaned out the bird feeder and be long gone, but when I drove down the driveway, I saw that it was still balanced on a stump, pulling the bird feeder toward his face and chomping down the sunflower seeds.

    I thought that the bear would immediately take off when the car came down the driveway, but it just kept munching away.  I didn’t have my camcorder, so I wasn’t able to take a closeup picture, but I did have my iPhone, and I drove closer and closer, to the bear, in hopes of getting a photo.

    It was fairly dark, but the iPhone did a pretty fair job of lightening the scene.  You can see the photo below.

    This is the neighborhood bear, which has been around for years.  It is a smart bear who isn’t aggressive and really doesn’t cause many problems, except trashing the fruit trees in the fall, if I don’t pick the apples off before it comes.  I can identify the bear by the white “bib” on its chest.  

    I took the bird feeder down this morning, so the bear will not be tempted to come around.  The poor birds will just have to fend for themselves.

 


You can view my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment