Friday 21 April 2023

Wow Again, Hooded Mergansers



    I feel doubly blessed with seeing two species of exotic looking ducks on my pond.  On my last blog I told about seeing wood ducks, and this morning there was a pair of Hooded Mergansers out there swimming around.  Both Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers are tree nesters.  I have 5 nesting boxes on trees scattered around the pond, so I have my fingers crossed that they both will find a suitable box for nesting.  

    Hooded Mergansers are considered “Uncommon” so I feel very fortunate to have them.  They always seen like “Punk” ducks with their bizarre hair styles.  I have had them nesting here several times before.  Below is a photo from several years back of a nesting female coming out of her nest box.


View my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment