Thursday 3 September 2020

Relearning My Hand


    I have been busy practicing playing my guitar chords using different fingers, and relearning what fingers to use when typing, and while those things are going well, every once and a while, I discover something new that I need to relearn.
    The other day I was going to nibble on some almonds.  I got the jar, unscrewed the top, then began pouring the almonds into my hand like I have done hundreds of times before, but this time it didn’t work so well.  The almonds began to fall through the hole where my ring finger used to be, onto the floor.  It didn’t take me long to realize that this was another common procedure that I had to rethink.
    A similar thing happened after I had rolled out our pizza crust, and began to wipe the excess flour off of the counter into my left hand so I could throw it away.  Again, half of the flour fell to the floor.  These  muscle memory habits, that have been established over decades, are so automatic that it is difficult to make yourself stop and rethink them before you do them.
    It is just a minor problem that I will overcome, but it was a bit bewildering to be standing there, pouring the almonds through my hand, onto the floor.

View my photo-realistic paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment