Monday 13 November 2017

The Peanut Butter Log


    The most popular and active part of my yard right now is the peanut butter log.  It is an old piece of firewood that I drilled some holes in and hung from a tree.  Every morning during the winter I fill the holes with peanut butter, and the birds love it.  It attracts the Red Breasted Nuthatch (in photo), as well as Chickadees, Downy, and Hairy Woodpeckers.  
    Squirrels also sneak in to get their share, and in the past I have had Flying Squirrels digging out the peanut butter at night if there is anything left.   Mule Deer also come around and stretch their necks and tongues to get to the fatty treat.   
    Supplying peanut butter all winter long can be a pricy expense, so I generally try to buy it at Costco where I can get  big jars.   It is worth the money because I enjoy seeing all the critters out in the yard.

You can see my paintings:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment