Friday 21 April 2017

Thinking About Next Winter


    I’ve heard it said that Canadians are defined by winter, and I think that might be true.  Here the snow in my yard has just melted and instead of kicking back and enjoying the warmer weather, I am already out working to gather firewood for next winter.  I am not the only one keeping an eye out for possible sources of wood to burn.  Its always a competition.  You might find a potential source, then a couple of days later when you got out to saw it up, you find it gone--someone has already taken it.  
     Luckily, I do own some forested property and I found a couple of trees on it that were showing signs of decline and they will be the first ones I will saw up.  The sawing is always the easy part.  Its the hauling, splitting, and stacking that take all the work.
    There are of course always slackers who wait for fall then scramble around trying to find wood.  I always like to get that job done in the spring so the wood has time to dry out before it goes in the stove.  Well, enough said, I’ve got to get my chainsaw sharpened up for the tree that I saw leaning low.

Check out my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment