Friday 14 April 2017

The Beaver Mountain Beaver




    Yesterday we were over on Hinkelman Road and I once again noticed “The Beaver” of Beaver Mountain.  For the first decade or so living in the Robson Valley, we were quite aware of Beaver Mountain, were puzzled  because we could see no obvious reason for the name.  Then one time we were visiting the Milnes over on Hinkelman, I noticed that from that angle you could see a rock formation up on the mountain’s horizon that had the shape of a beaver, or maybe a chipmunk clinging to the mountains edge.  
    It suddenly hit me that that was probably the reason for the mountain’s name.  I wonder how many local people have noticed “the beaver”, since the mountain is normally viewed from Highway 16, and from that aspect there is no beaver to be seen.  Below is a photo of the way Beaver Mountain is normally viewed. 
    One of the things I like about living in the mountains is the way they change shape as you view them from different parts of the valley.  


You can see my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment