Sunday 23 April 2017

Peas Popping Up


    Lately I have been worrying about the peas I planted.  Years ago I read in a gardening article that peas could be planted as soon as the soil can be worked.  Despite the fact that there is still a lot of cold weather and some frosts ahead, peas are tough, so always followed that advice and I do plant them as soon as my soil is plantable, which a whole lot earlier than most people dare, and I have never had any trouble, but this year I was worried after I planted them.
    In my rush to get them into the ground, I grabbed the bag of my saved seeds.  It had the date 2014 on the bag, which is the date I saved the seeds, but I couldn’t find the peas I saved last year.  Since that was the only peas I could find, I planted them, then waited.  In my impatience to see them pop up, I began to doubt if the pea seeds I planted were still viable.  
    A week later, when I was putting my down coat away for the winter, I opened the cabinet where I store it and found last year’s pea seeds.  I thought that if the one’s I planted failed to come up I could always replant with the newer ones.
    Fortunately, yesterday I noticed that the peas were starting to poke their heads out of the soil, so I guess I can put all that pea worrying away and start worrying about something else.

You can take a look at my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment