Tuesday 19 January 2016

Glenn Frey


    The soundtrack to my life lost a voice and composer yesterday.  I was shocked to learn that Glenn Frey, one of the base-members of The Eagles, had died.   From the first time I heard:  
    “Well I’m standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, and such a fine sight to see,
    It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford, slowin’ down to take a look at me.”
 I was hooked.  Upon hearing those lyrics, voices, accompaniments and harmonies,  I knew that The Eagles were a group I was going to pay attention to, and they didn’t disappoint.
    Frey was the guy doing most of the singing on “Take it Easy” --he and Jackson Browne had written the song.  Through the years, I sang along with Glenn and The Eagles from my records, tapes, CD’s, and downloads.  I followed their music through ballads, hard guitar rock, blue grassy and country songs, through love songs, failed relationships, and angry social commentary.  I wondered about “Hotel California” and learned that in a ‘New York minute’  everything can change.  The Eagles, as a band, had amazing depth and exceptional talent in song writing,  musicianship, and alway tight  harmonies.  Frey was a core part of it all.
    The Eagles, because they became so popular, where overplayed on the radio and saturated the media, which led to a backlash by many, but not by me.  I continued to follow them and, their music just got better and better.  The last album I bought was that of another Eagle:  Don Henley’s “Cass Country”  (Henley was the Eagles’ drummer and co-wrote most of the later Eagle songs with Glenn Frey.)
    I can’t believe that Glenn Frey’s voice and guitar have been silenced.    

Take a look at my paintings:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment