Monday 25 August 2014

The Big Country



    While standing down on the flatlands of the Robson Valley and looking up at the mountains, you get no real perspective of how much country there is up there.  I am always amazed whenever I get up into the alpine, just how huge an area it is.  It just goes on and on, mountain range after mountain range.  Yesterday, for the second time this year I went up to McBride Peak, this time with the Ozalenka Alpine Hiking Club.
    We bounced up the 11 km (7 mile) Rainbow Falls Road in the back of Glen Stanley’s pickup truck, then started on our 7 km (4.3 mile) loop hike that took us up past the old forestry lookout building along the ridge, then down to the two lakes, where we ate our lunch, back over a ridge, down through a big alpine meadows--it was wonderful.  Even though I have been up to McBride Peak many times, I couldn’t help but shake my head in amazement at the spectacular  mountain vistas.  Below is a Google Earth image of our hike, and below that are a couple of the 100 photos I took.




See my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment