Sunday 3 November 2013

Mottled Sunlight


    I have a few of my paintings sitting on easels and stands in my office so I can look at them.  The other day when I walked by them, I was amazed at how dramatic they looked as mottled sunlight fell upon them.  This darkened some sections of the painting and intensified the color in other sections.  I really loved the effect.
    I have always liked the effect of mottled sunlight on an object, usually from sunlight shining through trees, and it has been one of the things I have tried to capture in several of my painting (“Hostas” and “Hen and Chicks”) where there are subtle changes in light across the subjects.  I once I noticed this same effect on my “Old Green Truck” painting and liked it so much I took a photo and thought I should paint a new version of the painting with the mottling.  (Unfortunately I can’t find the photo right now).
    (In the photo above, the painting on the left and middle are standing on there sides rather than right side up.)

See all my paintings at:  www.davidmarchant.ca


No comments:

Post a Comment