Friday 1 February 2013

A Whoomp in the Night



    In the middle of the night, when I was half asleep, I heard a “whoomp” in outside my window.  I figured it must be a big limb from the willow tree that came down because of the heavy snow load.  When I got around to looking outside when I got up, I had my initial thoughts reaffirmed.
    Days ago, I had blogged about how I was trying to cut off some of the big branches of the willow trees that were hanging over our house.  I had chainsawed this branch weeks ago, but it’s top was wedged into the crotch of another branch so it didn’t come down.  That was alright, because, I figured I could use its position to leverage down another big branch that I have yet to cut off.  So this one had  remained upright, supported by a fork in the second branch.
    Overnight, the snow weight became too much for the fork that held it, when it broke, down came the branch I had sawed.  Fortunately, all the snow on the roof cushioned it’s fall, so no real harm was done.  The big branch that had held it up, is still there, and I will have to consider new ways to safely get it down.  I think I will just leave the fallen branch up on the roof for the time being.  I am thinking it might help cushion the fall of the other big one when I get around to bringing it down.
    Winter used to be a time for a lot of down time and relaxation, but this year it has kept me pretty busy.  I am going to quit writing now, I have to go out and shovel the driveway.

To read my older blogs or to see my paintings, so to:  www.davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment