Thursday 1 June 2023

Dependency


    The other day I was reminded just how depend I am upon my computer.  I was working on my iMac and suddenly my mouse quit working properly.  It began acting erratically, preventing me from doing the things I was wanting to do on the computer. 

    I changed the batteries in the mouse--no difference.  I rebooted the computer--no difference.  I soon realized that it was the mouse that was the problem.   I was in a panic, it felt as if Doom itself was hovering over me.  I couldn’t do anything without my mouse.  I depend on it and my computer, for my painting, for my photography, for my writing, and for my music.   It was a horrible feeling to suddenly be cut off from all of those things and more.

    Incredibly, I discovered that sometime in the past, I had bought another mouse, which was still in its box, and had never  used, so luckily, I was able to use it to get back to my normal routines.   Living in a tiny, isolated village like I do, means that I wouldn’t have been able to run down to a local store and buy a new mouse, but in the end, it all worked out.

    I constantly hear stories about how dependent young people are on their phones.  Usually upon hearing about that, I shake my head in disbelief, but I now realize that I am just as dependent on my computer.


You can see my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment