Wednesday 13 October 2021

Slim Pickin's


    Our crab apple tree has small “apples,” about the size of grapes.  They are very hard and bitter so we don’t use them at all, but the birds sure do.  Already this year robins and grouse have already had their way with the crab apples and have eaten the bulk of them, but there are still a few scattered around on the ground.  

    That was good news for this Varied Thrush, a robin-looking bird, that wears fancier dress.  It has been out in the yard picking up the crab apples are left.  Although the Varied Thrush live around here during the summer, they seem content to spend their time deeper in the forests so I rarely see them except for in the Spring and Fall.

    I always thought their call resembled the ringing of a distant telephone, and when we first moved to McBride, I would often be working outside and hear the thrush and think it was the phone ringing in the house, so I would stop what I would I was working on and go in the house to answer the phone.  It took a while for me to figure out what was going on.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca


 

No comments:

Post a Comment