Wednesday 15 February 2017

Snow Caves


    I am always surprised at the interesting and unexpected things that seem to pop up around here while we are on our walks.  Yesterday Joan, Skye, and I were out on Horseshoe Lake Road, when a group of McBride Secondary School students arrived carrying shovels.  They headed across the ice on the lake and headed over toward some snow drifts.  
    I asked them what was going on and they said they were digging snow caves and would be spending a night sleeping in them as part of their Outdoor Education Program.  I thought that was pretty unusual.  We certainly never did anything like that back in the ancient epoch when I went to school.  The  students  started to work digging 6 different caves.
    I can’t believe that they will spend a very restful night when they climb into their caves, but I think it will be a great adventure and give them some survival skills that might come in handy some day.

Visit www.davidmarchant.ca to see my photo-realistic paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment