Monday 30 October 2023

1987 Travel Journal: A Plague of Tourists


    The light turquoise ocean, white sandy beach, and the dark jagged rock cliffs dotted with green coastline plants, all combined to make a stunning setting for the ancient limestone Mayan ruins at Tulum.  It was the first time on my trip that I actually saw waves and surf.  

    Naturally, I grabbed my camera and was busy taking a flurry of photos when I heard the roar of diesel bus engines.  In less than 10 minutes the entire site of Tulum was filled with hundreds of tourists.  I was so glad that I had arrived early and had experienced exploring the site in private, before it filled with people.

    After the population explosion, it didn’t take me long to burn out.  I was planning to spend the morning in Tulum, then the afternoon swimming in Xel-ha, but it was 9:30, and I was gone.



You can see my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment