Saturday 15 December 2018

Low Elevation Sun



    By 9:00 this morning I was done painting my square, and was ready to write this blog, but I didn’t really have a subject or a photo to write about.   I decided to head out to our old trail, hoping for some kind of inspiration.  I noticed right away how low the Sun was on the horizon, as it shown through the snow-powdered trees.
    Here we are less than a week away from the Winter Solstice (Dec. 21) so at our latitude (53 Degrees north) during this time of year, the Sun doesn’t really climb very high in the sky, it just makes a low elevation arc across the sky.  The Sun’s low-sourced light does create some interesting lighting effects, and so I was able to find some subjects on my photo expedition.  
    Here are two shots that show the low position of our winter Sun between 9:00 and 9:30 this morning.


Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment