Tuesday 9 October 2018

Old Trail Revisited


    It has probably been at least a year since Joan and I were on our old trail that meanders through our neighbor’s woods.   We had discontinued those once daily walks because of our neighbor’s two pit bulls.  Yesterday we thought we could sneak down to the fields by the river by using the lower part of the trail loop, figuring that the dogs wouldn’t hear us.  They didn’t so it went well.
    It didn’t really start our well though.  As we were walking along the dam of our pond, Joan slipped on some fresh bear poop and smacked the ground, but she wasn’t hurt so we continued on.  I am always hoping to see some animals, but the only “animal” we saw was the one in the photo above.  Can you see it?  It is well camouflaged, hunkered down in the leaves.  I wouldn’t have noticed it, except I saw it hop out of the corner of my eye.
    I was really surprised to still see this small frog out jumping around when we have been getting nighttime temperatures dipping below freezing.  I was also surprised to see it down in the woods instead of up around the pond, but I guess it knows what it’s doing.

My paintings can be seen at my website:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment