Tuesday 3 April 2018

The Light of Spring


    One of the huge benefits of seeing Spring arrive is the amount of light that we receive as the days begin to lengthen noticeably, but it is not just the amount of light that makes Spring desirable, it is also the quality of light that is special.  I assume it is because the sun is higher on the horizon, and we are getting a more direct hit of it that causes this change in the brightness of the light.
    After a long grey, low-light winter, having the intensity of the Sun increase, gives me more energy.  I want to get out an do things, unlike in the winter when I was happy to stay inside and lounge around.  It’s not just the warming of temperatures that makes me want to get outside, I think it is the quality of light.
    I think I might suffer a very mild case of S.A.D. (Seasonal Affective Disorder) where the lack of bright  light during the winter can cause a sluggish feeling or low energy.  Severe cases cause depression, I don’t have that (except when I listen to the news), but it is often hard for me to get myself motivated during the winter.
    This desire to get out and do things is somewhat frustrating this time of year because once I get outside there is not much for me to do.  Snow still covers the ground, so I end up just walking around the pond with Skye several times a day, but I do revel in this Spring light.

Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment