This morning I was sitting on the couch watching the news on TV, as I ate my breakfast. Kona was sitting calmly beside me with her head resting on the back of the couch looking out of the bay window, waiting for me to finish, so she could lick out my bowl. Suddenly, Kona erupted into a barrage of very loud, forceful barking, which scared me. I tried to calm her down, then turned to look out of the window to see what was causing all of her agitation.
There I saw a mother bear and a cub walking through the lawn. They could hear Kona’s loud barking fit coming from the house which prompted them to began scrambling for cover in the woods. It took a really long time for Kona to finally calm herself down.
I usually do four laps, walking and jogging around the pond after my breakfast, but today I decided that since the mother bear had a cub, that I had better just skip the exercise today.
This was the first bear sighting we have seen in the yard this year. I guess fall, and their need to bulk up has led to the exploration.
I have already picked the apples off of my two trees, to prevent bears from tearing up and trashing the trees eating the apples. In a way I am sorry to deny them food that they need, but they do really destroy apple trees. I am actually surprised that my apple trees are still alive after being so severely mangled in the past by hungry bears.
I wasn’t able to get a photo of the bear and cub this morning, but found this old one to use. The cub I saw this morning was smaller that the yearling in the photo.
Take a look at my paintings: davidmarchant2.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment