Friday, 11 September 2026

Remembering My 911 Day


     Everyone that was alive at the time, probably remembers where they were 25 years ago, when they first heard those shocking reports of what was going on in what later became called “911”   Here is what I gleaned about the day from my diary:


Sept. 11/01 Tues. (A day to remember)

    At 7:00 when my clock radio went off this morning, the first thing we heard on the news was that an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Center in NYC.  This was personally interesting to me, since we had visited and been to the top of the World Trade Center almost exactly 6 months earlier.  (My second thought was, “That’s an interesting coincidence, just like in 1945 when a B-25 bomber accidentally crashed into the Empire State Building.” something that I had remembered in collecting trivia for my Trivia Calendar that I made)

        Then a short time later, we heard that a 2nd plane had rammed into the other tower, and It became immediately clear, that the first crash was not an accident.  We turned on the TV and then saw that the Pentagon had been hit by a plane.

        I had to force myself to tear away from the TV reports while all this was happening, but I had to go to work.  As I pedaled my bike to the office, I listened to my pocket radio.  I had my earplugs on listening to the CBC Radio as it reported on the disaster.

        I was on the highway at the area between the McBride frontage roads, when they reported that the first tower had collapsed.   I couldn’t help but utter, “Aww, no,” out loud.

        I was in shell shock for the rest of the day.  As I listened to the radio at work, one event after another unfolded; the 2nd tower collapsed, and another hijacked plane crashed in Pennsylvania.  The news was full of reports of other suspect aircraft flying around.  Planes from all over the world were being forced to make emergency landings in Canada.  I got very little work done that day.

        Everyone else at our forestry office was stunned too.  In the afternoon the District Manager had the whole staff gather in the foyer of the office, and in a big circle we held a moment silence for the disaster that was unwinding in the US.   There were construction workers in the building working on a new space in the Forestry Office, which added to the chaos of the day.

    Spent the night watching TV reports about the Twin Tower Attack.  


    The photo is from March, 2001



View my paintings at:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment