Saturday, 26 September 2026

1974: Silvacan Camp Water Problems


         Over the April 6th, Easter weekend, as the winter’s snow began to melt, the camp’s water, which was taken directly from a nearby creek, turned brown and began to smell.   So I sought out a new source for water.  I figured that we could get clean, fresh water from the still frozen-over, Little Lake.  My wife, our Pomeranian dog Vincent, and I planned an excursion to the pristine lake, taking with us a borrowed ax and a container for some water. 

        The lake was still covered with snow and ice, (photo below) and I thought I could just chop through the ice to get some water.  Chips of ice flew in all directions as I hacked away at the ice with the  ax.  It was hard work, I had to make the hole wider and wider as I chopped deeper and deeper into the ice. 

        I chopped down about twenty inches and never broke through the ice to water, so finally, with a new appreciation of the severity of Canadian winters, I accepted the fact that getting water by chopping through the Little Lake ice was a futile mission.  

        Luckily, we were able fill our containers down at Takla Lake, using the hole in the ice that the Jack family maintained throughout the winter for their water.




Take a look at my paintings:  davidmarchant2.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment