The other day while walking through the yard, I noticed and apple sitting on our picket fence. It left me very puzzled as to how it got there. The apple wasn’t eaten, and my first thought was maybe a deer had picked it off of the ground, then for some reason, left it on the fence, but that didn’t make sense, because a deer would have eaten it right away, not leave it for later. Then I thought, maybe somebody had been in our yard, and left the apple there as a joke, but that likewise seemed very unlikely, because no one has been around our rather isolated house.
I gave up wondering about the apple and forgot about it. Then this morning when I was headed over to the pond, to get some exercise walking and jogging around it, I passed an old birdhouse on a post and noticed something inside it--four apples. (photos below) This really confused me.
To me, the most likely suspect would be a squirrel, but the squirrels we have around here a small, compared to other varieties of squirrels. While squirrels do collect and save food for the winter, I couldn’t imagine a squirrel carrying one of those apples in its tiny mouth. I couldn’t really identify any obvious teeth marks on the apples.
The whole thing remains a puzzling mystery to me.
You can look at my paintings : davidmarchant2.ca
No comments:
Post a Comment